Saturday, January 29, 2011

Recommendations

I've written about this before, I think, but Amazon's recommendation page drives me a little batty.  I mostly use it to get ideas for books to check out from the library. I rate stuff I've read, and the list (supposedly) kicks back other books I might enjoy.  Por ejemplo, I recently read (and liked, okay?) the Sookie Stackhouse books.  So according the Amazon algorithm,  I probably only want to read books featuring vampires, fairies, werewolves, ghosts, gnomes, etc.  Gah! Ninety percent of the recent glut of this type of book flat-out sucks. I'm going to have to check "not interested" on about one hundred items to get some fresh ideas. 
P.S. to fantasy writers: If you spell vampire, "vampyre" or kindred, "kyndred," I refuse to read your stupid book. Annoying!


And sometimes, the recommendations are kind of mind-bending.  Amazon suggests I might want to buy Fig Newtonsbecause I put a portable clothes drying rack on my wish list. What are people out there doing that unites these two products?!

No comments:

Post a Comment